Friday, April 1, 2011

GF Goat's Cheese Chicken Cordon Bleu

“But you can’t have that – it’s made with cheese! And bread crumbs!”

I can make almost anything I crave gluten and dairy free. It just takes a lot more time, label reading, creativity and money. (Why is gluten free food so darn expensive?!?) But is it worth it? Very much so!!!

My latest culinary adaptation was Chicken Cordon Bleu – a dish I have been craving since BEFORE I went dairy free. Those days, I thought I was not a good enough cook to make something so fancy. But in reality, the dish is pounded chicken rolled up with cheese and ham and coated with breadcrumbs. There’s nothing fancy about the ingredients and the preparation is very simple.

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
4 slices of ham*
3 ounces cheese*
1/3 cup flour*
Kosher salt
Pepper
¾ cup bread crumbs*
¼ T fresh thyme, chopped
¼ T fresh parsley, chopped2 cloves garlic, minced
1 egg
Extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil.

Using a meat mallet, pound the chicken to a uniform thickness, approximately ¼”. Layer a piece of ham and the cheese on each piece of chicken. Roll into a log. Secure with toothpicks, if necessary.

Prepare three shallow bowls:
Flour
Egg – beaten. Season with salt and pepper.
Bread crumbs, thyme, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper and 1 T olive oil – mixed together

Coat the chicken with flour then the egg then the bread crumb mixture.

Place the chicken in the pan. Lightly drizzle olive oil on top of chicken. Cook for 40-50 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked. Serve with frozen vegetables.

A note on my ingredient substitutions:
I used my gluten free flour mix (white rice, potato starch, tapioca flour), Chevre Fresh Goat Cheese, Applegate uncured Slow Cooked Ham (humanely raised AND clearly labeled as gluten & casein free in TWO locations!) and Kinnikinnick’s gluten and dairy free bread crumbs – panko style.
A reminder on cheeses: for whatever reason, I’m completely fine eating goat’s cheese. I haven’t tried sheep’s milk or cheese yet. If I have even the smallest amount of cow’s milk butter (butter has an extremely low level of lactose), I will get sick. Use whichever cheese works best for you – there are also vegan cheeses and lactose-free cheeses available!

No comments:

Post a Comment