Monday, November 21, 2011

Stuffing

Thanksgiving means turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, another scoop of stuffing and more, right? Back during my less-than-ideal eating habit stage, I would make Stoffer's stuffing and have that be my meal. One night, I had my leftovers cooling in plastic containers before putting them in the fridge. The next morning, I found my (then very cooled) stuffing still on the counter. I cried. What a waste of stuffing!!! I never realized how emotionally attached I was to bread and herbs...Am I the only one with this problem?

Last year, I was on a mission to make stuffing. I tried and fell in love with Silvana's recipe in Cooking for Isiah. I made the recipe twice - once as soon as I got the book and the second time for Thanksgiving. I even brought over the entire recipe (after several healthy "tastings" first, of course) to my family as another stuffing option. The cornbread stuffing is packed full of corn, bacon and apples.

This year, I am a recipe tester for the new on-line gluten free magazine Easy Eats.
(Do you subscribe? You really should.) I tested the rye bread stuffing. Did you know that ryeless rye bread is a thing? It is and it is delicious! I made Gluten Free Goddess' recipe found here. First and foremost - I didn't realize I missed rye bread until I had a slice. I highly recommend trying it out! The stuffing recipe I tested for Easy Eats was Mushroom-Rye Stuffing (page 79). The recipe was easy to make and had such a hearty flavor. This is a dish that is worth passing around the table for the holidays! I'm glad I took on my recipe assignment - it pushed me beyond my traditional family favorites and I tried a new recipe that tasted more like Thanksgiving than any other stuffing I've had before.

What's going in your stuffing this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment