Thursday, May 10, 2012

Two Fat Guys Barbecue Sauce

Throughout my almost two years being gluten free, my dad has told me about and purchased for me to consume later exactly one gluten free product.  Don't get me wrong, he makes sure that I always have more than enough gluten free foods and crackers and dairy alternatives at his house.  But only once have I gotten a "Hey, I think you should try this! I like it and it is gluten free!" food from him - Two Fat Guy's gourmet barbecue sauce.  Their flavors are Milk, Smoky, Spicy, and Lava Hot.  Since I come from a family of gringo stomachs (we tend to love plain, white people food), mild is as hot as we get.

At the gluten free expo, I met the legendary Two Fat Guys.  My dad normally sees them (and buys plenty of jars) at the Kane County flea markets, but their products are available in stores and online as well.  At the Gluten Free Expo, I was fortunate to receive a jar of the mild sauce to play with in the kitchen.  The ingredients are simple enough - I can pronounce everything - including the ever important "gluten free beer"!  The sauces are gluten free, high fructose corn syrup free, fat free, and cholesterol free.  The mild does contain honey, so it is not vegan.

As for the taste?  A heck of a lot better than the barbecue sauce I make!  It is full of flavor and I embarrassingly found myself licking my plate clean.

The website for Two Fat Guys has some recipes to try, but that day I was craving meatballs.  Google searching kept pointing me to using frozen meatballs in a crockpot with some store bought barbecue sauce, but frozen meatballs are out.  Homemade is always better, especially when considering all the wheat and dairy fillers in traditional meatballs and the over priced allergen friendly options.  I made a few variations to my default meatball recipe and doubled it up.  I had more than enough to eat, so froze the leftovers for easy lunches in the future.

The Two Fat Guys Barbecue Sauce plus one skinny gluten free foodie translates into: Inner Fat Chick's Meatballs!  These are sweet, flavorful and difficult to resist!

Inner Fat Chick's Barbecue Sauce Meatballs

1 cup of finely crushed gf crackers (I used Crunchmaster's multi-grain crackers)
1 t Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup water
1 small onion, finely diced
2 large eggs
Salt and pepper to taste
2 lbs of 80% lean ground beef
1 18oz jar of Two Fat Guy's barbecue sauce (I used mild)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl, mix the crackers, Worcestershire sauce, water, onion, eggs, salt and pepper together with a fork.  Then (with very clean hands) add in the ground beef and roll into meatballs.
Place meatballs in a 9x13 pan.
Pour 1 jar of Two Fat Guy's barbecue sauce over meatballs, making sure the meatballs are coated with the sauce.

Cook (uncovered) until no longer pink in the center, about 25 minutes or so.


Enjoy as an easy appetizer (just add a toothpick to each meatball), with a side salad, with rice noodles, with mashed potatoes, or simply on their own!  These freeze and defrost exceptionally well.

No comments:

Post a Comment