Monday, September 13, 2010

Happy National Celiac Awareness Day!

Thanks to the many listserves I receive and the facebook pages I like, I found out that today is National Celiac Awareness Day!
My e-mail from Gluten-Free Faces advises, So enjoy the rest of your day, and maybe treat yourself to a gluten-free cupcake or other delectable in honor of National Celiac Awareness Day!
So I went home and baked a whole cake. I made Red Velvet Cake (potato-based) and half the recipe for Traditional Icing, Vanilla from Roben Ryberg's You Won't Believe It's Gluten-Free! I substituted rice milk for traditional milk with good results (I needed a little more rice milk in the icing however.) In hindsight, I think this was my first cake with icing I have ever made from scratch by myself (I'm ignoring the times I helped my mom bake - she was the driving force in the kitchen - I was merely sous chef.) The cake is very delicious and moist and does not taste gluten-free at all! My impatience got the best of me and I put the frosting on the cake before it cooled completely, but I think it adds for an artistic flair. I've always loved eating warm cake and I wanted frosting, so there you have the melted frosting look! My baking confidence is finally rising and I am no longer terrified of bad results. After all, if one recipe fails, there's always more!

For more information on Celiac disease, check out mayoclinic.com: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/celiac-disease/DS00319/DSECTION=symptoms

No comments:

Post a Comment