Saturday, September 18, 2010

Sweet Potato Fries

During my traditional Thursday lunch hour visit to the Farmers' Market at Daley Plaza, I was pleasantly surprised to find some of the first sweet potatoes this year. I bought three without any specific plans for them. I went home and searched FoodNetwork.com for some ideas. There are more than plenty!


The most difficult part about making these fries was slicing the potatoes. My knife skills improved by the time I was done cutting the second potato, but I think I nearly chopped off a finger a few times! I've seen a gadget that cuts your potato for you in french fry slices, but I don't have the space (in my small studio apartment) or eat enough fries to justify that purchase...yet. For the seasoning, I did not want to commit to the House Seasoning, so I mixed much smaller portions in one of my tiny prep bowls and used that. I love reading comments about the recipe - someone mentioned using her pre-heated stoneware to cook the fries! Perfect - I've been trying to season my new Pampered Chef pizza stoneware. With an adventurous spirit, I split my fries between the stoneware (first lightly covered in oil since it is not seasoned yet) and parchment paper on a cookie sheet. I made all other variables the same and wanted to see which way had a tastier fry. The result? Exactly the same.

Oh well, at least I have some restaurant quality fries without using a deep fryer!

No comments:

Post a Comment