Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Cooking Italian - No Substitutions

One of the great creative challenges of cooking gluten and dairy free is figuring out what to substitute in a mainstream recipe. And one of the greatest joys comes in finding a recipe that requires no substitutions.

I found the recipe for Sweet and Sticky Chicken Drumsticks in Giada De Laurentiis’s Giada’s Kitchen: New Italian Favorites. What an easy recipe! The chicken legs are marinated in the refrigerator in a bag prior to cooking in the oven. The marinade is super simple and uses balsamic vinegar, honey, light brown sugar, soy sauce, rosemary, and garlic. I loved her pictures of the plating, so I toasted some sesame seeds and chopped fresh parsley from my windowsill to garnish. As soon as the chicken went in the oven, I started my rice cooker. I tried to flavor it with some balsamic vinegar, but I did not use enough, so the rice was pretty standard. This was a winning marinade and tasted delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment