Saturday, October 23, 2010

Mashed Potatoes

Eliot is the one who called it: we save our Friday nights for leisurely cooking great food together. Last night’s meal was flank steak cooked on the George Foreman, steamed broccoli tossed with lemon juice and olive oil with a generous serving of mashed potatoes.

We started with the potatoes first: Eliot quickly chopped the potatoes. Now I’m the one who is going to call this tradition: the hungrier we are, the more we let Eliot use the knives. I’m still much slower than he is with cutting, but I take the opportunity to watch and learn. It is my own live cooking show in my kitchen! We turned to the creamed olive oil-mashed potatoes in Cooking for Isaiah for the recipe. Instead of walnut oil, we used additional extra virgin olive oil. I then stole a trick from Gluten Free Girl and the Chef and finally found a use for the chives I have been growing on my windowsill all summer long.

I’m excited to find great tasting and easy mashed potatoes. Lately, my extended family has been working around my food intolerances. When I was just dairy free, we always reserved some of the cooked potatoes before they went into the stand mixer with large amounts of milk and butter. I added a pat of dairy-free vegetable spread to my non-mashed potatoes instead while everyone else dug into their mashed potatoes – a huge family favorite. This year, my family should be prepared for mashed potatoes made with rice milk! The Cooking for Isaiah recipe was very delicious and bursting with flavor. I think it will be finding a way into our family parties soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment