Saturday, October 23, 2010

I Can Have Candy! Smarties

Last year, I took being dairy free pretty hard. I was really upset that so much food contains milk. Especially sweets. Growing up, I would have about a pillowcase of candy from trick-or-treating and would only eat Hershey’s (plain) milk chocolate, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Kit Kat bars, Rice Krispies, pretzels, Smarties, Sprees, pretzels and cookies. Everything else was “traded” with my brother and sister or “donated” to my mom. During Halloween time, I picked up bag after bag of treats only to find milk or “may contain traces of milk” plastered on everything. It did not help that I kept checking the chocolate sweets. And then I found Smarties. Finally, “normal” candy! As much as I was enjoying my very rich dark chocolate from Trader Joe’s, I was thrilled to buy a commercially available, recognizable treat.

I was cleaning my cabinets and checking expiration dates on my food when I came across a mostly empty Smarties bag:

Smarties contain none of the following common allergens: gluten (from wheat, barely, oats and rye), soybeans, milk, eggs, peanuts, nuts, seeds, fish, shellfish, or mollusks.

This was a very exciting find! (Even if my bag is a year old and the best by date is still another two years out…) When presented with a Halloween candy bowl, I can easily find this popular candy and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment