Saturday, November 20, 2010

Cooking with Jamie Oliver

I have a major food crush on Jamie Oliver. While at my sickest, I watched Jamie Olive’s Food Revolution on my laptop in bed on the weekends. He keeps talking about how easy it is to eat healthy and cook meals yourself with fresh ingredients and used stir-fry as a gateway into helping ordinary people make some pretty amazing dishes. One night, I made myself a stir-fry and felt a little better. (Possibly because the stir-fry only had a trace amount of gluten-filled soy sauce compared to my normal dinners of pasta…) On one of my most recent adventures through the cookbook stacks at Harold Washington library, Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution book caught my eye and I fell in love a little more. The book’s premise of teaching people to cook and pass on the skills and recipes is amazing.

For our Friday night dinner, Eliot and I made Jamie’s Parsnip and Ginger Soup and Super-Quick Salmon Stir-Fry. Both dishes were full of flavor and really highlighted the fresh vegetables we bought from Whole Foods. As a bonus recipe, Eliot fried the salmon skin as an appetizer as we waited for the soup to finish cooking. With the stir-fry, the smells and flavors kept changing with each new ingredient addition - what an alive dish!

Here are the foods in their before and after state!

Salmon skin

Parsnip and Ginger Soup

Super-Quick Salmon Stir-Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment