Saturday, February 26, 2011

More Than Just Fuel

During the week, my eating habits glorify food as fuel. Come Friday nights, I want to sit down, shut off my laptop and just ENJOY my food. Last night, I treated myself: I laid out one of my fancy place mats, pulled out my best plate, and cooked a simple yet very satisfying and tasty dinner.

Rice - courtesy of my rice maker. Two cups of rice made with three crushed garlic cloves, a bay leaf, and about 1/2 tablespoon or so of lemon juice. Adorned with cut chives from the windowsill garden.

Broccoli - steamed in a small pot on the stove. Tossed with a splash of lemon juice.

Steak - seasoned with Kosher salt and ground pepper. Cooked on the George Foreman grill for 4-5 minutes. Topped with a little more salt and pepper.

With food intolerances and allergies, it is easy to obsess and analyze every bit of food to the point where the food is never tasted or enjoyed. Having naturally safe foods is an easy way to relax and have no need to worry about whether or not the food is okay to eat. (This is much easier with a dedicated gluten and dairy free kitchen filled with products that have already had every label thoroughly read a few times!)

No comments:

Post a Comment