Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snowmageddon '11 Baking

Most of Chicago shut down completely today. I worked from home and spent my "lunch hour" making gingerbread dough and then photographing the beach and park and Lake Shore Drive. Chicago was eeirely calm and it was bizarre to walk in the middle one of the busiest roads with snow drifts almost as tall as me.

The snow day afforded me the time to make the cookie dough, refrigerate it, and roll it into cookies. And in honor of the Snowmageddon, why not snowmen cookies?

It took me a while to find a gingerbread recipe WITHOUT almond flour. Finally, I found this one. The cookies were easy to make. I made two substitutions: I used an egg instead of applesauce and I used Crisco since I couldn't find palm oil shortening. The cookies are great tasting and the dough is easy to manipulate and roll. I still need to work on my rolling technique - growing up we had small boards to ensure our dough was evenly rolled. I may have to find my own...

No comments:

Post a Comment