Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Mexican Taco Pizzas

In honor of Cinco de Mayo coming up and moms I have been meeting who are always on the lookout for kid and allergy friendly menu ideas, I present (Americanized) Mexican Gluten Free Dairy Free Beef Taco Pizzas. Kids will love these since they can help in the kitchen and can personalize their own meal.

Aw, who am I kidding? I am in my mid-twenties and was super excited to make and eat these!

Ingredients
1lb of ground beef
1/2 cup water
1 T chili powder
1 t ground cumin
1 t ground coriander
1 can of diced tomatoes
Flat crispy corn taco shells/tostadas (I used Guerrero's Tostadas Caseras)
1 can of refried beans
Dairy free cheese (I used Rice Vegan - American flavor - that is dairy, soy, gluten and lactose free. Since they were in slices I sliced the cheese into cheddar-like strips.)
Lettuce - thinly sliced

Cooking Instructions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Brown the beef in a skillet over medium heat. Drain. Stir in water, chili powder, cumin, coriander and undrained tomatoes. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer (uncovered) for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Place taco shells or tostadas on a cookie sheet. Add a layer of refried beans. Add the beef and tomato mixture on top. Sprinkle on cheese.

Cook for approximately 10 minutes. Remove from oven, add lettuce.
Feel free to add your favorite taco toppings to this pizza! The sky is the limit with options! I was working with what I had in the pantry and refrigerator for these particular pizzas.

A note on reheating: refrigerating and microwaving fully built pizzas left me with somewhat soggy and depressing results. The best way to "reheat" is to build the tacos again and cook in the oven for 12-15 minutes (assuming the beef mixture came straight from the refrigerator).

No comments:

Post a Comment