Sunday, July 29, 2012

Better Batter Chocolate Cake (Birthday) Cupcakes

Happy Birthday to me!

And what is a birthday without chocolate cake?  (The answer is "pretty sad" if you are a chocoholic with a sweet tooth.)

I previously made a box worth of cupcakes from Better Batter's gluten free and dairy free chocolate cake mix that they sent me to try. I made them for an event and loved the convenience - what a breeze to make for someone who doesn't have all day to spend in the kitchen.  Add water, oil and eggs to the dry mix and mere minutes later, the cupcakes are on their way to the oven.  The cupcakes are wonderfully moist and as I mentioned in an earlier entry about their Yellow Cake Mix, they are a decorator's dream.  The tops bake smooth and are ideal for decorating.  The Better Batter chocolate cake mix tastes so rich - they are a great dessert!  I love making and eating their cupcakes!

At my recent dessert-bringing event, my cupcake versus people ratio was off so I had plenty of leftovers.  I took them home and froze them, hoarding them for future use...like my birthday.  Turns out I can have cake without turning on the oven on a hot July day!

I've read tips from moms from allergic kids that you should cut the cupcake in half and then put the frosting on the inside so it freezes well (and you can make a bunch at once) so kids can have birthday treats with their classmates.  The frosting on the inside is totally unnecessary.  Over the past year, I have been freezing cupcakes - both naked and fully decorated.  With the exception of some squishing of the frosting when I store them in too small containers (as pictured above), there are no issues with freezing decorated cupcakes.  There are a few ways to defrost them:

  • Let sit at room temperature for an hour.  This is best for people who have patience, can plan ahead, or want to throw it in a lunchbox.
  • Defrost with the 0.1 lb setting in the microwave.  This is great for the warm straight-from-the-oven taste for those of you who normally eat your desserts while the pan is still burning hot from the oven.
  • Microwave on high for 1 minute for those of you who want the frosting to slide off and make a hot mess.  This is not recommended if you prefer your desserts to look classy or presentable.  Don't worry - it still tastes great.

Do you freeze your leftover cupcakes?  Or are you asking "what's a leftover cupcake" because they fly off your kitchen counter?

No comments:

Post a Comment