Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Mother Butter's Popcorn


“Everything is gluten free.”
“Really?”
I am forever in the habit of second guessing people's gluten free claims (do they even know what gluten is?).  I assumed popcorn would be gluten free naturally, but once you start adding flavors, risks increase for cross contamination or even flat out gluten joining the food, the chance of everything decreases dramatically.

I spoke with Tim Donelley at the Daley Plaza Farmer’s Market (who did not let the 99 degree weather on Thursday stop him from selling his food to hungry Chicagoans.)  Everything they make at Mother Butter’s is gluten free because his wife needs a gluten free diet.  A few years ago, they turned to cookbooks their food from scratch.  They went through old family recipes and found recipes for desserts and caramel.   It was the best caramel they ever had.  They realized that it was very easy to make things the right way – without any additives or processing.  Their family-owned popcorn business was soon born.

The Donelley’s research everything they use.  They investigate to make sure there are no fillers or gluten in any of their purchased products.  What a relief for those of us who are gluten intolerant/sensitive/allergic and are looking for a safe and super tasty snack.  No artificial sweeteners or shortcuts are used in their food.  They use real cheddar cheese, pounds of cashews, and pure white truffles in some of their different popcorn flavors, for instance.


At the farmer’s market, only one of their popcorn varieties is dairy-free: their white truffle salted.  No truffle oil here – they use real pure white truffles.  It makes it a bit pricier, but oh my goodness!  I have never had popcorn that tasted so rich in my life!  As much as I am a chocoholic, I would glad have a bowl of Mother Butter’s white truffle popcorn for a sweet treat any day!  This is the kind of popcorn that deserves to be eaten with a fine glass of wine!  (I quickly ate my way through a bag - I meant to share but turned into a hoarder instead.  I can't believe I wasted so many years of my life with bad popcorn!  Their popcorn is one of the best things I have ever eaten!)

Be sure to check them out.  Their bags do offer a warning: all popcorn is made on the same equipment that processes nuts.  In their store, they can make more varieties dairy free.  On their website, you can order popcorn by the gallon – up to 6.5 gallons!  Their popcorn (and fudge, nuts and more) would make great gifts – they even offer options on their website for wedding party favors!  These will be a great gift to give people a taste of Chicago’s finest.

Their store is 2 blocks east of US Cellular Field – 17 W 35th St, Chicago, IL 60616.  Grab some delicious gourmet bites before a White Sox game.  Check them out at their store, their website, or on Facebook!  Or ask for a sample at the Daley Plaza Farmer's Market!

No comments:

Post a Comment