Sunday, July 18, 2010

Bread Attempt #1

After my Betty Crocker disappointment, I knew I needed to start even simpler with baking. Originally, I thought all of the gf advice for baking was for people that did not know how to bake period when it really was for the people who knew how to bake with gluten who need to learn baking all over again. I was very excited when I saw the number of recipes in Bette Hagman's Living Well Without Wheat: The Gluten-Free Gourmet - Revised Edition. I used this book when I was stocking up on flours, thanks to her helpful descriptions. My first bread recipe came from her book exclusively because of its introduction:

Easy to make and impressive. This better is very forgiving and always turns out.


Sign me up! Her ingredients for "Popovers" are simple - water, shortening, potato starch flour, rice flour, salt and eggs. The batter was really fast to make. And guess what - they looked like bread. I may or may not have had four of them straight out of the oven... (Translation: they were just that good!) The popovers had a delicious texture and were just the slightest soft and gooey on the inside. I would never have known that these were gf. Success! I have a bread recipe! This alone is reason enough for me to add her book permanently on my bookshelf rather than just as a borrowed library book. We'll let the pictures speak a thousand words here:


No comments:

Post a Comment