Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Mom's Sweet Corn

On the bus ride home today, I was racking my brain trying to figure out what I was going to make for dinner since I did not feel like cooking.

Um...I have a bunch of meatloaf and meatballs in the fridge! The dishes aren't even all done from that, but I forgot all about last night's cooking. To be honest, the meatloaf wasn't that memorable. Compared to a lot of the foods I have been having lately, the meatloaf is too bland and uninspired. It is filling, but where were my improving knife skills besides in the tiny pieces of onion?
So tonight I warmed up some meatloaf and made corn the way my mom taught me. Her steps are:
Add some lemon juice and sugar to the water.

That's it? I can handle that. For those of you who do not regularly cook corn, you may be looking for further instructions from that. (I know I was when I started cooking! Every fresh ingredient I bought was quickly google searched for whether or not it goes in the refrigerator and what the preferred cooking method was.) The way I cook corn is I put a large pot with water on the stove, add about a tablespoon of sugar and a tablespoon of lemon juice to the water. Turn the stove on. Husk the corn. Place corn in water. Remove from water when done. Turn off stove. Sprinkle with season salt. Eat.

I made this before for someone from Indiana who swore that she knew corn. And it was the best she ever had, she said. (Or she was being REALLY nice.) It is an easy way to make something sweet even sweeter! Plus corn is in season! And super cheap! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment