Saturday, July 24, 2010

Peanut Butter Cookies

I just finished re-reading Bette Hagman's "Living Well Without Wheat: The Gluten-Free Gourmet." The first time I read gf books, I was so hungry to learn everything that I could, I was merely skimming the surface without absorbing anything. So the re-read was much slower and deliberate. Her popover recipe washed away my fears of cooking bread. A few of her bread recipes call for powdered milk, or non-dairy powder for those of us who are lactose intolerant. I have not been able to find this in stores and have not been able to bring myself to buy baby formula as a substitute yet. (I know this day will be coming soon, but I only need a small amount in my baking so cannot justify such a bulky and expensive purchase. Why do none of my good in the city friends have babies whose food I can steal?!?) So I decided to do a cookie recipe instead. I wanted to do something simple before I graduate to more complicated multi-flour recipes, so I went with her Peanut Butter Drops. Three ingredients: eggs, peanut butter, sugar. Here are the reasons why I love these cookies so much:



1) They look like cookies!
2) They taste like cookies!
3) Peanut butter is so good for you! This past week, a number of people have been suggesting that I just eat a jar of peanut butter to help me gain weight.
4) They were so easy to make!
5) I'm willing to share these cookies with friends without being embarrassed!
6) I can be creative.


Once the cookies came out of the oven, I wish that I had a sugar mixture to sprinkle on top. One of my favorite cookie recipes when I was little was Honey Bee Cookies and I have fond memories of sprinkling some sugar mixture on top of them within seconds of my mom pulling the tray out of the oven. (Perhaps brown and white sugar? Or white sugar with cinnamon?) Or even chocolate chips! Since I know have a successful "base" recipe, I feel like I can make them again and again with modifications. And with only two eggs in the recipe, it is super easy to halve the recipe for test batches. As the recipe stands, the cookies are so moist and delicious. The peanut butter (obviously) has such a large presence. These cookies are much better than just having a jar of peanut butter with a spoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment