Sunday, July 11, 2010

It's everywhere!

I was talking to my mom today and she mentioned reading about gluten in Dr. Gott's newspaper column.

For those of you reading this without previous knowledge of gluten, be sure to read the article! It is helpful and compact overview of what it is and what it does to people with gluten sensitivities: http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beaconnews/lifestyles/gott/2485558,2_7_GOTT_S1-100711.article

If you want to read more about Celiac disease, check out his earlier column:
http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100501/LIFESTYLES06/305019990/-1/LIFESTYLES07

I was much better within one week of starting a gluten-free diet. My body was only having major problems with gluten in the past six months - before that any intolerance seemed inconsequential, or was at least overshadowed by the lactose intolerance.

Last week, I had my official diagnosis - gluten intolerance. My biopsies tested negative for Celiac, but there are some people out there with the intolerance without the disease. The self-imposed standard gluten filled diet was so sharply contrasted to the gluten free diet. Away from gluten, I feel like a whole new person - my energy levels are sky rocketing and the best part is that I'm hungry again and can hopefully gain some of the weight I have been losing. My body has been completely devoid of nutrition these past few months because no foods were really been absorbed into my body. I've even been complimented on my glow and happy personality. Parents always tell their children to eat healthy so they feel good, but who knew that food had THIS much of a powerful affect on the body?


We'll end this post with a statistic from http://www.celiac.com/articles/1164/1/Celiac-Disease-Statistics/Page1.html.

Recent studies and advances in diagnosis show that at least 3 million Americans, or about 1 in 133 people have celiac disease, but only 1-in-4,700 is ever diagnosed.

I've seen this reported from a few different reputable sources. I haven't seen any statistics yet about non-Celiacs who are gluten-intolerant, but I know there's a number of us - probably majority go undiagnosed.

With the rise of gluten awareness, it is becoming much easier to go shopping and order out at a restaurant. There is still a lot of hidden lactose and gluten in foods (soy sauce, meat sauces, salad dressings...) but the more companies are having milk and wheat listed in bold or at the bottom of the ingredients list which makes purchasing products SO much easier. Rice Chex is conveniently labeled "Gluten Free" and even the bottle of fancy ginger ale my friend bought carried the same great message. A year ago, I had no idea what gluten is, so I totally understand when people have questions or wonder what actually contains gluten. (Gluten is in wheat, rye and barley and depending on the person you talk to - oats.)

I meant for that statistic to close out this post, but I apparently had more to say. Now I'm off to create a delicious chicken soup and a few other tasty meals for this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment